"In the pursuit of virtue, don't be afraid to overtake your teacher."
"Young people should not be taken lightly. How do you know that they will not one day be better than you are now?"

--Confucius

"True poets are only the interpreters of the Gods."

-- Socrates

You laugh because I'm different, I laugh because you're the same.


Monday, October 31, 2011

The Making of a Mummy

Author's Note:
This is the passage I wrote from the perspective of a mummy.  I am focusing on word choice and voice. 

From the cold hands of death, I witnessed my own friends taking my body and forcefully shoving toilet paper around my corpse.  They wrapped me up tighter than a mother wrapping her newborn child in a blanket.  I was placed in a black, geometric box covered with flowers, jewelry, and other sentimental items.  Just when I thought that the deed had been completed, I was moved.  Next, I felt as though I was being lowered, most likely into the ground.  For this ground was to be my final journey, my final resting place.

1 comment:

  1. I loved the first line especially in this piece. It is very well written and kept me interested. I love all of your fiction pieces. They are either so funny or have a really good point no one would ever think to write about.

    ReplyDelete