"In the pursuit of virtue, don't be afraid to overtake your teacher."
"Young people should not be taken lightly. How do you know that they will not one day be better than you are now?"

--Confucius

"True poets are only the interpreters of the Gods."

-- Socrates

You laugh because I'm different, I laugh because you're the same.


Sunday, October 30, 2011

Love Potion Number Nine

Author's Note:
This is a short passage describing what I would smell if I ever were to smell a magical  Love Potion created in the Harry Potter Movies.  Most of what I would  smell goes beyond context and into memories. I am focusing on word choice.

If I were to be given a magical love potion, what would I smell?  I would smell a fresh, new, leather jacket, the smell of latex floating off of balloons, the smell of wet grass sweeping through concrete streets, sharp scented apple lotion, and the smell of chalk so strong I can almost taste it.

I would smell a leather jacket because it reminds me of my grandpa before he started acting older. Then, I would smell latex coming off balloons because my favorite thing to do is make people smile and the one object that can make anyone smile is a balloon.  Also, I would smell wet grass because it reminds me of my house in Indiana, that my sister and I just adored.  Next, I would smell apple lotion because, as weird as it may seem, reminds me of my cousins that I don't get to see too often.  Lastly, I would smell chalk because it reminds me of when I did gymnastics and the joy it gave me when I was little.

What would you smell if you had the chance to be given one of these Love Potions?

No comments:

Post a Comment