"In the pursuit of virtue, don't be afraid to overtake your teacher."
"Young people should not be taken lightly. How do you know that they will not one day be better than you are now?"

--Confucius

"True poets are only the interpreters of the Gods."

-- Socrates

You laugh because I'm different, I laugh because you're the same.


Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Before I Break

Author's Note:
This is another try at a rhyming poem with deeper thought. I wrote this at first as a stream of consciousness, but turned it into a poem.  I am focusing on formatting.


Do not trust me with a secret
That you know I cannot keep
Do not let me change your future
Just by something that I see

Do not try to make me smile
When it is raining out the window
Do not attempt to make me laugh
With an animal stuffed pillow

Do not hold onto me forever
Because sometimes I must fall
Do not compliment me on my height
For I know I am not tall

Do not believe that I could want you
More than any of my friends
Do not read me a long story
That doesn't really have an end

Do not explain what is not real
For then who is the fool
Do not urge me to change
Because what I do isn't cool

Do not make me solve a problem
Because I might make a mistake
Do not lend me out your heart
Unless you want mine to break

No comments:

Post a Comment